Wednesday 2 October 2013

Book Review - The Pillars of Health - Your Foundations For Lifelong Wellness

About a month ago I signed up to join Hay House Book Nook.  I get to choose a newly published book, they ship it to me for FREE and all I have to do is read it and blog about it.  So here is what my thoughts are about this book.

I was first drawn to the book because it asked "Do you go to the gym religiously? - for a couple of weeks at a time?"  I immediately nodded yes.  And then the next few questions sold me on it.  "Do you find yourself desperately to focus but unable to keep up with everything going on in your hectic life?  Are you frustrated by a world that seems full of inconsiderate, unpleasant people?"  I know that I could answer yes to these with great ease.  I could even relate to the fourth question "Have you been on every diet imaginable, yet still feel unhealthy and low on energy."

As I started reading this book I was interested in what he had to say regarding the effects of processed foods on the body.  I was in agreement until we reached the point where he started talking about how bad animal proteins are on the body.  This was something that I immediately reacted adversely to.  I love meat.  I am a rancher's daughter.  I am a meatatarian.  I eat vegetables because the meat I like to eat like vegetables.  And it is the way I have always been and I am not interested in changing that.  Well not full time anyway.

As I continued on with the book I loved the fact that it was not entirely about how and when and what to eat.  The author touched on more than just that.  More than the importance of getting you body moving.  He also spoke about supplements and essential oils.  I knew more about the supplements than I did about the essential oils part of things.  So once I finished the book I was so interested I contacted a friend so that I was able to learn even more.  This is what makes for a good book in my opinion.  It sparks the desire to learn.

Mental Acuity is one of the pillars of health.  He spoke o the importance of exercising your brain.  To really challenge it in different areas.  This was honestly something that I never gave much thought to.  I am blessed with an excellent memory and razor sharp wit.  Never before did I consider that I may lose that.

The final pillar - compassion - spoke deeply to me.  This is a huge part of my life and something that I believe in greatly.  It was incredibly refreshing to see that someone else thought that compassion for yourself and others was important enough to be a pillar of health. This is certainly not something you see in every health and weight loss book.

Since reading this book I have made some changes in my life.  I can credit 'The Pillars of Health' for sparking the change.  I am currently eating more of a plant based diet.  So much so that I am only eating animal protein three times a week.  I am still learning about the many uses of essential oils and I even work on exercising my mind on occasion.

Now as I mentioned previously, I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for a review of it  That being said...my review is definitely favorable.  It was a relatively easy, interesting read that was able to get me to see a different point of view.  If you are looking to purchase a book that covers whole body/mind health....this is a book for you.

Who knows....maybe you will find yourself bypassing the bacon section in the grocery store.

Wishing you a day as Beautiful as You,

Much Love,

Lisa

Today I am entirely grateful for the many opportunities that come into my life unexpectedly.


2 comments:

  1. thanks. You caught my attention as your review captures how I'm feeling at this moment. I'll have to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading the review. I truly hope that you enjoy the book! It was a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete